KDE Ships Plasma 5.4 Beta Release
Tuesday, 11 August 2015. Today KDE releases a beta release of the new version of Plasma 5.4.
This release of Plasma brings many nice touches for our users such as much improved high DPI support, KRunner auto-completion and many new beautiful Breeze icons. It also lays the ground for the future with a tech preview of Wayland session available. We're shipping a few new components such as an Audio Volume Plasma Widget, monitor calibration tool and the User Manager tool comes out beta.
New Audio Volume Applet
Our new Audio Volume applet works directly with Pulseaudio, the popular sound server for Linux, to give you full control over volume and output settings in a beautifully designed simple interface.
Application Dashboard alternative launcher
Plasma 5.4 brings an entirely new fullscreen launcher Application Dashboard in
kdeplasma-addons: Featuring all features of Application Menu it includes sophisticated scaling to
screen size and full spatial keyboard navigation.
The new launcher allows you to easily and quickly find applications, as well as recently used or favorited documents and contacts based on your previous activity.
Artwork GalorePlasma 5.4 brings over 1400 new icons covering not only all the KDE applications, but also providing Breeze themed artwork to apps such as Inkscape, Firefox and LibreOffice providing a more integrated, native feel.
KRunner now remembers your previous searches and automatically completes from the history as you type.
Useful graphs in Networks applet
The Networks applet is now able to display network traffic graphs. It also supports two new VPN plugins for connecting over SSH or SSTP.
Other changes and additions
- Much improved high DPI support
- Smaller memory footprint
- Our desktop search got new and much faster backend
- Sticky notes adds drag & drop support and keyboard navigation
- Trash applet now works again with drag & drop
- System tray gains quicker configurability
- Wayland tech preview (complete Plasma wayland session), driven by Plasma Mobile
- The documentation has been reviewed and updated
- Improved layout for Digital clock in slim panels
- ISO date support in Digital clock
- New easy way to switch 12h/24h clock format in Digital clock
- Week numbers in the calendar
- Any type of item can now be favorited in Application Menu (Kicker) from any view, adding support for document and Telepathy contact favorites
- Telepathy contact favorites show the contact photo and a realtime presence status badge
- Improved focus and activation handling between applets and containment on the desktop
- Various small fixes in Folder View: Better default sizes, fixes for mouse interaction issues, text label wrapping
- The Task Manager now tries harder to preserve the icon it derived for a launcher by default
- It's possible to add launchers by dropping apps on the Task Manager again
- It's now possible to configure what happens when middle-clicking a task button in the Task Manager: Nothing, window close, or launching a new instance of the same app
- The Task Manager will now sort column-major if the user forces more than one row; many users expected and prefer this sorting as it causes less task button moves as windows come and go
- Improved icon and margin scaling for task buttons in the Task Manager
- Various small fixes in the Task Manager: Forcing columns in vertical instance now works, touch event handling now works on all systems, fixed a visual issue with the group expander arrow
- Provided the Purpose framework tech preview is available, the QuickShare Plasmoid can be used, making it easy to share files on many web services.
- Monitor configuration tool added
- kwallet-pam is added to open your wallet on login
- User Manager now syncs contacts to KConfig settings and the User Account module has gone away
- Performance improvements to Application Menu (Kicker)
- Various small fixes to Application Menu (Kicker): Hiding/unhiding apps is more reliable, alignment fixes for top panels, 'Add to Desktop' against a Folder View containment is more reliable, better behavior in the KActivities-based Recent models
- Support for custom menu layouts (through kmenuedit) and menu separator items in Application Menu (Kicker)
- Folder View has improved mode when in panel (blog)
- Dropping a folder on the Desktop containment will now offer creating a Folder View again
Full Plasma 5.4 beta changelog
The easiest way to try it out is with a live image booted off a USB disk. You can find a list of Live Images with Plasma 5 on the KDE Community Wiki.
Distributions have created, or are in the process of creating, packages listed on our wiki page.
You can install Plasma 5 directly from source. KDE's community wiki has instructions to compile it. Note that Plasma 5 does not co-install with Plasma 4, you will need to uninstall older versions or install into a separate prefix.
FeedbackYou can give us feedback and get updates on Facebook or Twitter or Google+.
Discuss Plasma 5 on the KDE Forums Plasma 5 board.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Supporting KDE page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our Join the Game initiative.
KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE's full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
Trademark Notices. KDE® and the K Desktop Environment® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and copyrights referred to in this announcement are the property of their respective owners.
Unit 7B Beauvallon Village
13 Sandown Road
Phone: +27 83 455 9978
A-4 Sonal Coop. Hsg. Society
6543 ZE Nijmegen
21 Kinross Rd. #2
Brighton, MA 02135
Phone: +1 (762) 233-4KDE (4533)
11 Eucalyptus Road
Eltham VIC 3095
Phone: (+61)402 346684
Sandro Santos Andrade
R. da Gratidão 232, apto 1106-A
Salvador, BA 41650-195