Release of KDE Frameworks 5.6.0
January 08, 2015. KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.6.0.
KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the Frameworks 5.0 release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this Version
Two new frameworks in this release: KPackage and NetworkManagerQt
- Introducing the ActivityInfo QML object
- Linking now supports special values alongside activity ids. Supported values: * - :global - links to all activities * - :current - links to the current activity
- KDirWatch can now watch /dev/shm as well (bug 314982)
- KDELibs4Migration now always returns an absolute path
- Fix build on FreeBSD
- Add Lithuania to the list of Euro countries
- Fix build on OSX and on FreeBSD
- 6 bug fixes forward-ported from kdelibs4.
- Add support for .hidden files, for users to hide some files from views. (feature 246260)
- New method KRun::runService, like KRun::run but returns the PID of the newly started process.
- kioexec: fixed many porting bugs, to make it work again
- KRun::run: fixed porting bug, to make it work again in the case where KProcess is used directly
- KRun: make klauncher runtime dependency optional
- Fix compilation on MSVC
- Performance: decrease memory consumption of UDSEntry
- Actions in popupmenus: in case of multiple mimetypes selected, services that support all mimetypes are now added to the menu.
- New job: KIO::DropJob KIO::drop(QDropEvent ev, QUrl destUrl). Replaces KonqOperations::doDrop.
- Restart directory watcher after a failed delete operation
- Fix false warning about X-KDE-Protocols unused in desktop files without that field.
- Merge various settings modules (KCMs) related to kio, into the kio framework.
- When copying/moving out the trash, make the files writable.
- KIO::file_move now does the chmod on the destination file before emitting result.
- Remove NotifyBySound. NotifyByAudio implements the "Sound" notification already
- Fix crash accessing dangling pointer in NotifyByPopup
- Do not detect anything with a '.' as a NetworkLocation (porting bug, bug 340140). One can also uses a decimal point in a calculator.
- Fix build on MSVC.
- Fix build on MSVC.
- vimode bugfixes
- add syntax file for Oracle PL/SQL
- ppd highlighting: better support for multiline values
- Add runtime style element extension convenience functions for widgets: KStyleExtensions
- Add OnScreenDisplay window type
- Fix build on FreeBSD
- Let month menu navigate in current year (bug 342327)
- Expose new OnScreenDisplay window type in Dialog
- Migrate Plasma::Package to KPackage
- Fix labels not picking up changes to font settings at runtime
- Fix text not properly updating its color when switching themes (especially dark<-->light)
- Fix placeholder text in textfields being too strong when using a light theme
- Set visibility on mainItem to match Dialog
- Load IconItem immediately upon componentComplete()
- Use the same text colour for comboboxes as buttons
- Performance improvements (less config-file reparsing, use shared config...)
- roundToIconSize(0) now returns 0
- Give undo notifications a title
- Enable fstab and upower backends on FreeBSD
- Power: Add aboutToSuspend signal
ECM's KDEInstallDirs now supports KDE_INSTALL_* variables, which should be used in preference to the CMAKE_INSTALL_* variables or the older KDELibs4-compatible variables. The older forms of the variables are still supported (and kept in sync) unless KDE_INSTALL_DIRS_NO_DEPRECATED or KDE_INSTALL_DIRS_NO_CMAKE_VARIABLES are set to TRUE. See the documentation for more details.
Add COMPATIBILITY argument to ecm_setup_version(). Lots of libraries will want to use SameMajorVersion to make sure searching for version 1 of a library doesn't give you version 2, for example.
Fix ECMQueryQmake when Qt5Core is missing.
Additional buildsystem changes in Extra-Cmake-Modules 1.6.1
Fix building projects that use both GNUInstallDirs and KDEInstallDirs in different subdirectories by not unsetting cache variables in KDEInstallDirs.
Fix KDE_INSTALL_TARGETS_DEFAULT_ARGS value on OSX.
- Fix handling of palette change events (bug 336813)
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks.
Binary package distro install instructions.
Compiling from sources
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.6.0 requires Qt 5.2.
ContributeThose interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories, follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list and contribute patches through review board. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on freenode.net.
You can discuss and share ideas on this release in the comments section of the dot article.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Donations page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our new Join the Game initiative.
KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE's full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
Trademark Notices. KDE® and the K Desktop Environment® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and copyrights referred to in this announcement are the property of their respective owners.
Unit 7B Beauvallon Village
13 Sandown Road
Phone: +27 83 455 9978
A-4 Sonal Coop. Hsg. Society
6543 ZE Nijmegen
21 Kinross Rd. #2
Brighton, MA 02135
Phone: +1 (762) 233-4KDE (4533)
11 Eucalyptus Road
Eltham VIC 3095
Phone: (+61)402 346684
Sandro Santos Andrade
R. da Gratidão 232, apto 1106-A
Salvador, BA 41650-195