Release of KDE Frameworks 5.17.0
December 12, 2015. KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.17.0.
KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the Frameworks 5.0 release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this Version
- Fix date filter used by timeline://
- BalooCtl: Return after commands
- Clean up and armour Baloo::Database::open(), handle more crash conditions
- Add check in Database::open(OpenDatabase) to fail if db doesn't exist
- Many icons added or improved
- use stylesheets in breeze icons (bug 126166)
- BUG: 355902 fix and changed system-lock-screen (bug 355902 fix and changed system-lock-screen)
- Add 24px dialog-information for GTK apps (bug 355204)
Extra CMake Modules
- Don't warn when SVG(Z) icons are provided with multiple sizes/level of detail
- Make sure we load translations on the main thread. (bug 346188)
- Overhaul the ECM build system.
- Make it possible to enable Clazy on any KDE project
- Do not find XCB's XINPUT library by default.
- Clean export dir before generating an APK again
- Use quickgit for Git repository URL.
- Add plasmoid installation failed to plasma_workspace.notifyrc
- Fixed a lock on the first start of the daemon
- Moving QAction creation to the main thread. (bug 351485)
- Sometimes clang-format makes a bad decision (bug 355495)
- Killing potential synchronization issues
- Use org.qtproject instead of com.trolltech
- Removing the usage of libkactivities from the plugins
- KAStats config removed from the API
- Added linking and unlinking to ResultModel
KDE Doxygen Tools
- Make kgenframeworksapidox more robust.
- Fix KCompressionDevice::seek(), called when creating a KTar on top of a KCompressionDevice.
- KAboutData: Allow https:// and other URL schemas in homepage. (bug 355508)
- Repair MimeType property when using kcoreaddons_desktop_to_json()
- Port KDeclarative to use KI18n directly
- DragArea delegateImage can now be a string from which an icon is automatically created
- Add new CalendarEvents library
- Unset SESSION_MANAGER envvar instead of setting it empty
KDELibs 4 Support
- Fix some i18n calls.
- Mark m4a as readable by taglib
- Cookie dialogue: make it work as intended
- Fix filename suggestion changing to something random when changing save-as mimetype.
- Register DBus name for kioexec (bug 353037)
- Update KProtocolManager after configuration change.
- Fix KSelectionProxyModel usage in QTableView (bug 352369)
- Fix resetting or changing the source model of a KRecursiveFilterProxyModel.
- registerServicesByGroupingNames can define default more items
- Make KMoreToolsMenuFactory::createMenuFromGroupingNames lazy
- Add syntax highlighting for TaskJuggler and PL/I
- Make it possible to disable keyword-completion via the config interface.
- Resize the tree when the completion model got reset.
- Correctly handle the case where the user deactivated us
- Fix a small artifact of KRatingWidget on hi-dpi.
- Refactor and fix the feature introduced in bug 171343 (bug 171343)
- Don't call QCoreApplication::setQuitLockEnabled(true) on init.
- Add basic plasmoid as example for developerguide
- Add a couple of plasmoid templates for kapptemplate/kdevelop
- [calendar] Delay the model reset until the view is ready (bug 355943)
- Don't reposition while hiding. (bug 354352)
- [IconItem] Don't crash on null KIconLoader theme (bug 355577)
- Dropping image files onto a panel will no longer offer to set them as wallpaper for the panel
- Dropping a .plasmoid file onto a panel or the desktop will install and add it
- remove the now unused platformstatus kded module (bug 348840)
- allow paste on password fields
- fix positioning of edit menu, add a button to select
- [calendar] Use ui language for getting the month name (bug 353715)
- [calendar] Sort the events by their type too
- [calendar] Move the plugin library to KDeclarative
- [calendar] qmlRegisterUncreatableType needs a bit more arguments
- Allow adding config categories dynamically
- [calendar] Move the plugins handling to a separate class
- Allow plugins to supply event data to Calendar applet (bug 349676)
- check for slot existence before connecting or disconnecting (bug 354751)
- [plasmaquick] Don't link OpenGL explicitly
- [plasmaquick] Drop XCB::COMPOSITE and DAMAGE dependency
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks.
Binary package distro install instructions.
Compiling from sources
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.17.0 requires Qt 5.3.
ContributeThose interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories, follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list and contribute patches through review board. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on freenode.net.
You can discuss and share ideas on this release in the comments section of the dot article.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Donations page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our new Join the Game initiative.
KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE's full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
Trademark Notices. KDE® and the K Desktop Environment® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and copyrights referred to in this announcement are the property of their respective owners.
Unit 7B Beauvallon Village
13 Sandown Road
Phone: +27 83 455 9978
A-4 Sonal Coop. Hsg. Society
6543 ZE Nijmegen
21 Kinross Rd. #2
Brighton, MA 02135
Phone: +1 (762) 233-4KDE (4533)
11 Eucalyptus Road
Eltham VIC 3095
Phone: (+61)402 346684
Sandro Santos Andrade
R. da Gratidão 232, apto 1106-A
Salvador, BA 41650-195