Release of KDE Frameworks 5.14.0
September 12, 2015. KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.14.0.
KDE Frameworks are 60 addon libraries to Qt which provide a wide variety of commonly needed functionality in mature, peer reviewed and well tested libraries with friendly licensing terms. For an introduction see the Frameworks 5.0 release announcement.
This release is part of a series of planned monthly releases making improvements available to developers in a quick and predictable manner.
New in this Version
In many frameworks
- Rename private classes to avoid exporting them accidentally
- Add org.kde.baloo interface to root object for backward compatibility
- Install a fake org.kde.baloo.file.indexer.xml to fix compilation of plasma-desktop 5.4
- Re-organize D-Bus interfaces
- Use json metadata in kded plugin and fix plugin name
- Create one Database instance per process (bug 350247)
- Prevent baloo_file_extractor being killed while committing
- Generate xml interface file using qt5_generate_dbus_interface
- Baloo monitor fixes
- Move file url export to main thread
- Make sure cascaded configs are taken into account
- Do not install namelink for private library
- Install translations, spotted by Hrvoje Senjan.
- Don't forward deviceChanged signal after device was removed (bug 351051)
- Respect -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF
Extra CMake Modules
- Add macro to generate logging category declarations for Qt5.
- ecm_generate_headers: Add COMMON_HEADER option and multiple header functionality
- Add -pedantic for KF5 code (when using gcc or clang)
- KDEFrameworkCompilerSettings: only enable strict iterators in debug mode
- Also set the default visibility for C code to hidden.
- Also propagate window titles for folder-only file dialogs.
- Only spawn one action loader (thread) when the actions of the FileItemLinkingPlugin are not initialized (bug 351585)
- Fixing the build problems introduced by renaming the Private classes (11030ffc0)
- Add missing boost include path to build on OS X
- Setting the shortcuts moved to activity settings
- Setting the private activity mode works
- Refactor of the settings UI
- Basic activity methods are functional
- UI for the activity configuration and deletion pop-ups
- Basic UI for the activities creation/deletion/configuration section in KCM
- Increased the chunk size for loading the results
- Added missing include for std::set
KDE Doxygen Tools
- Windows fix: remove existing files before we replace them with os.rename.
- Use native paths when calling python to fix Windows builds
- Fix bad behavior / running OOM on Windows (bug 345860)
- Optimize readEntryGui
- Avoid QString::fromLatin1() in generated code
- Minimize calls to expensive QStandardPaths::locateAll()
- Finish the port to QCommandLineParser (it has addPositionalArgument now)
KDELibs 4 Support
- Port solid-networkstatus kded plugin to json metadata
- KPixmapCache: create dir if it doesn't exist
- Sync Catalan user.entities with English (en) version.
- Add entities for sebas and plasma-pa
- Performance: cache a KEmoticons instance here, not a KEmoticonsTheme.
- PlainTextExtractor: enable O_NOATIME branch on GNU libc platforms
- PlainTextExtractor: make the Linux branch work also without O_NOATIME
- PlainTextExtractor: fix error check on open(O_NOATIME) failure
- Only start kglobalaccel5 if needed.
- Gracefully handle no newline at end of pmap file
- KIconLoader: fix reconfigure() forgetting about inherited themes and app dirs
- Adhere better to the icon loading spec
- eps: fix includes related to Qt Caterogized Logging
- Use Q_OS_WIN instead of Q_OS_WINDOWS
- Make KDE_FORK_SLAVES work under Windows
- Disable installation of desktop file for ProxyScout kded module
- Provide deterministic sort order for KDirSortFilterProxyModelPrivate::compare
- Show custom folder icons again (bug 350612)
- Move kpasswdserver from kded to kiod
- Fix porting bugs in kpasswdserver
- Remove legacy code for talking very very old versions of kpasswdserver.
- KDirListerTest: use QTRY_COMPARE on both statements, to fix race showed by CI
- KFilePlacesModel: implement old TODO about using trashrc instead of a full-blown KDirLister.
- New proxymodel: KConcatenateRowsProxyModel
- KConcatenateRowsProxyModelPrivate: fix handling of layoutChanged.
- More checking on the selection after sorting.
- KExtraColumnsProxyModel: fix bug in sibling() which broke e.g. selections
- kpackagetool can uninstall a package from a package file
- kpackagetool is now smarter about finding the right servicetype
- KSycoca: check timestamps and run kbuildsycoca if needed. No kded dependency anymore.
- Don't close ksycoca right after opening it.
- KPluginInfo now correctly handles FormFactor metadata
- Merge allocation of TextLineData and ref count block.
- Change default keyboard shortcut for "go to previous editing line"
- Syntax highlighting Haskell comment fixes
- Speed up code-completion pop-up appearance
- minimap: Attempt to improve the look and feel (bug 309553)
- nested comments in Haskell syntax highlighting
- Fix problem with wrong unindent for python (bug 351190)
- KPasswordDialog: let the user change the password visibility (bug 224686)
- Fix KSwitchLanguageDialog not showing most languages
- Avoid QLatin1String wherever it allocates heap memory
- Fix metatype conflict with the latest nm-qt change
- Added new properties from the latest NM snapshot/releases
- reparent to flickable if possible
- fix package listing
- plasma: Fix applet actions might be nullptr (bug 351777)
- The onClicked signal of PlasmaComponents.ModelContextMenu now works properly
- PlasmaComponents ModelContextMenu can now create Menu sections
- Port platformstatus kded plugin to json metadata...
- Handle an invalid metadata in PluginLoader
- Let the RowLayout figure out the size of the label
- always show the edit menu when the cursor is visible
- Fix loop on ButtonStyle
- Don't change the flat-iness of a button on pressed
- on touchscreen and mobile scrollbars are transient
- adjust flick velocity&deceleration to dpi
- custom cursor delegate only if mobile
- touch friendly text cursor
- fix parenting and popping up policy
- declare __editMenu
- add missing cursot handles delegates
- rewrite the EditMenu implementation
- use the mobile menu only conditionally
- reparent the menu to root
Installing binary packages
On Linux, using packages for your favorite distribution is the recommended way to get access to KDE Frameworks.
Binary package distro install instructions.
Compiling from sources
Building from source is possible using the basic cmake .; make; make install commands. For a single Tier 1 framework, this is often the easiest solution. People interested in contributing to frameworks or tracking progress in development of the entire set are encouraged to use kdesrc-build. Frameworks 5.14.0 requires Qt 5.3.
ContributeThose interested in following and contributing to the development of Frameworks can check out the git repositories, follow the discussions on the KDE Frameworks Development mailing list and contribute patches through review board. Policies and the current state of the project and plans are available at the Frameworks wiki. Real-time discussions take place on the #kde-devel IRC channel on freenode.net.
You can discuss and share ideas on this release in the comments section of the dot article.
KDE is a Free Software community that exists and grows only because of the help of many volunteers that donate their time and effort. KDE is always looking for new volunteers and contributions, whether it is help with coding, bug fixing or reporting, writing documentation, translations, promotion, money, etc. All contributions are gratefully appreciated and eagerly accepted. Please read through the Donations page for further information or become a KDE e.V. supporting member through our new Join the Game initiative.
KDE is an international technology team that creates free and open source software for desktop and portable computing. Among KDE's products are a modern desktop system for Linux and UNIX platforms, comprehensive office productivity and groupware suites and hundreds of software titles in many categories including Internet and web applications, multimedia, entertainment, educational, graphics and software development. KDE software is translated into more than 60 languages and is built with ease of use and modern accessibility principles in mind. KDE's full-featured applications run natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris, Windows and Mac OS X.
Trademark Notices. KDE® and the K Desktop Environment® logo are registered trademarks of KDE e.V. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the United States and other countries. All other trademarks and copyrights referred to in this announcement are the property of their respective owners.
Unit 7B Beauvallon Village
13 Sandown Road
Phone: +27 83 455 9978
A-4 Sonal Coop. Hsg. Society
6543 ZE Nijmegen
21 Kinross Rd. #2
Brighton, MA 02135
Phone: +1 (762) 233-4KDE (4533)
11 Eucalyptus Road
Eltham VIC 3095
Phone: (+61)402 346684
Sandro Santos Andrade
R. da Gratidão 232, apto 1106-A
Salvador, BA 41650-195